Thursday, August 19, 2010

Taught

Teaching

I wasn't a teacher back in the States. I can't really remember ever teaching anyone anything at any point in time. Nope, I just paused to reflect and I really can't remember a single time that I bestowed knowledge on another person. Being the fourth of five children gave me plenty of older siblings who taught me plenty of things, and I have lots of friends who I've learned a great deal from. Actually, maybe I've showed some people what not to do. Does that count?

Moving on. I had no idea how rewarding teaching could be. Not only is it one of the most amazing experiences when a child grasps a concept that you taught them, but it's also amazing to be an unwitting role model for promising young lives.

My kids are smarter than I could have imagined and teaching them is, for the most part, a delight. My heart swells with pride when they use a correct tense, or say a complete sentence with appropriate pronouns.

While I've truly been in awe of their capacity to learn, I've also been a bit shocked by what they've taught me. Very simple life lessons that we tend to forget in the rush and stress of being a grown-up. Here are a few simple things my students have bestowed on me lately:

  • It's better to focus on the good than dwell on the bad. How often in everyday situations I've complained about something that upsets me instead of focusing on the good. In my classroom, if I only focus on the one child who's acting up, I'm ignoring the wonderful progress of all my other students. Plus, I've noticed that when I laud the children who are working hard, the troublemakers usually snap into shape. This attitude has rubbed off on my children. Instead of tattling on their classmates as much as they used to, now they'll yell "Sticker! Sticker!" for the classmate who makes a concerted effort in class. (It's a reward system that seems to be working quite well!)
  • Laughter is life-giving. If my kids are having an off-day, all it takes is a little play time with them and they perk right up. Sure, it's important to have discipline and accomplish our daily tasks, but a little laughter and play time makes life worth living. Plus, it's a great way to bond with kids.
  • It really is the little things in life. Recently, my older class leveled up, which is exciting for many reasons. First, they stay on a level for five or six weeks, and things get pretty tedious towards week five. Second, there are all sorts of funny new little words for them to learn and pictures to laugh at. One of our new stories has lots of fruit and vegetables with cartoon faces and I've never seen kids laugh so hard. Sometimes the smallest things are the best things.
  • Hugs rule. Hugs from anyone are pretty great, aside from creepy strangers, but a hug from a little kid is... amazing. I think it's due to the fact that when they're hugging you, they're really hugging you. They're not thinking about their To-Do List or secretly thinking how bad your perfume smells. Their hugs are full-body, clingy-monkey, squeeze-til-it-hurts and never-let-go. I begrudgingly have to peel them off me when it's time for their next class.
  • Life is now. Be present. My kids live their lives in the moment. Whether they're sad, happy, excited or "so-so" (a new phrase they just learned), they're present in their lives. How often I have to remind myself to be present, right where I'm at, and not think about what I'm going to do after this moment, or what happened before. Just now. Just be. It's beautiful.
Honestly, my kids have probably taught me way more than I've taught them. I love seeing them everyday and learning new things about who they are and how they see the world; and bit by bit, I begin to see the world with their same wide-eyed wonder...

3 comments:

  1. Becky - I love this post...working with younger students is an interesting experience and it's so refreshing to hear a different perspective...especially from a war-weary veteran like myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There really is nothing better than the laughter of little kids. Its like that moment is the happiest, funniest, the best ever... until the next time they crack up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is sweet, sweet writing, Becky. When I was reading it, I thought back to a couple weeks ago when my niece and nephew had such simple joy in playing with a couple of leaves. I took a minute to explain the veins of the leaves to them too. Also, my niece is so cute spotting bugs...and she has been instructed to tell them to go away.

    ReplyDelete