Friday, July 16, 2010

Rain, Rain Go Away

When I flew into Incheon last week, the sky was totally white. It was like a giant cloud floated down and rested on the city, and there wasn't a ray of sunshine to be seen. I felt like I was in a dream as large buildings loomed in and out of view, sinking back into the fog. I asked my employer if it was supposed to rain and he looked confused by my question, "Maybe."

I had never seen such a foggy day in my life.

The next day, the sun came out for a little bit and my spirits lifted. I was afraid my entire time here would be spent in a cloud. The week was hot and sunny, and I began to question the "rainy season" I'd read about. I went for walks and drank in the sunshine; there wasn't a cloud in the sky.

By yesterday morning, the clouds had rolled back in with a vengeance. The sky opened up and practically drowned the pedestrians. I have never seen so much rain in my entire life. As I walked some of my kindergarteners to the bus, I saw four kids completely wipe out on the slick ground. (Yet somehow Korean women can still wear super high, pointy stilettos and be fine.)

If we were in Biblical times, I'd be looking around for Noah.

It's no wonder that Koreans carry an umbrella with them wherever they go... although many of them still use umbrellas on a perfectly sunny, cloudless day. It hasn't stopped in 24 hours, and it's still going strong as I write this. My Saturday morning hike I had planned will have to wait, and a subtitled movie marathon will take it's place. I'm learning that in Korea, it's all about flexibility because you never know what will change from one moment to the next.

No comments:

Post a Comment