Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Two Days 'til SoKo

It feels a little surreal right now... all the months of planning, packing and paperwork have been leading up to this, yet I still feel unprepared for what awaits.

When I tell people that I'm moving to South Korea, their first question isn't "Why?" or "Do you have family there?"

It's "Why South Korea?"

To be honest, I'm not entirely sure. I've loved traveling for as long as I can remember, and I felt my life was getting a little stagnant where I was. Not that I didn't love my life, because I did, but it was too comfortable to really stimulate growth. My inner adventurer began to wilt and flicker a bit... so I decided to pack my bags and move away.

Though I wasn't sure where I would go, I felt certain that go I must. I looked into a bunch of countries; ones where I spoke the language, ones where I liked the food, ones where I had friends.

But I kept coming back to South Korea. I didn't want to leave the comfort of my pleasant life for another comfortable and predictable life.

I wanted adventure.

I wanted to explore the unknown.

To throw myself into a completely different culture and see what emerged in my soul.

South Korea was all of those things and more.

As I sit here typing on American soil, I find it difficult to imagine what's looming on the horizon for me. But one thing is for sure, whatever comes by way, I'm ready to live a life out of my comfort zone, embrace the adventure of being alive and - of course - carpe diem.

No comments:

Post a Comment